Faux Fried Chicken With Quick Arugula Salad
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut on the bias lengthwise in 3/4 in strips
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, roughly chopped, from about 8 sprigs thyme
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus additional as necessary
- 1 cup packed baby arugula
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus additional lemon wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Season chicken breast strips with salt and pepper. Combine panko, parmesan, cayenne, and thyme on a large plate. Season with salt and pepper. Place flour onto another large plate. Pour milk onto a third large, shallow plate.
- Bread strips: Lightly coat strips in flour, followed by a dip in milk, and then place into the panko mixture, making sure to coat strips on all sides.
- Heat a large, ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil, swirl to coat, and add chicken strips, in 2 batches if necessary so as not to overcrowd. Crisp, turning once, until outside is crisp and golden, about 1 minute per side, transferring to a plate as they finish and replenishing oil if skillet is dry. Return all strips to skillet and transfer to oven to finish cooking through, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dress arugula with lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide chicken strips between serving plates and top each portion with arugula salad and lemon wedges for squeezing atop chicken. Serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!