Fast White-Bean Stew
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (19 ounce) cans cannellini beans, undrained
- 8 ounces cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (5 ounce) bag baby romaine lettuce or (5 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 8 slices baguette (3/4-inch-thick)
- Cook garlic in oil in a 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Coarsely cut up tomatoes in can , then add (with juice) to garlic in oil.
- Stir in broth, beans, ham, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Stir in greens and cook until wilted.
- While stew is simmering, preheat broiler. Put bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat until golden, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Serve stew with toasts.
Join The Conversation
Just back from trip home...more clothes, New Year's eve stuff... this week promises to be BUSY!! Board meeting, hairpainting with a favorite stylist who got engaged over the holiday!! Celebration time!! TIME for healthy soup- all ingredients but spinach are here!! Guests still out on slopes- way too cold for this lady!!