Farmhouse Beef Casserole
photo by seal angel
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- olive oil flavored cooking spray, for pans
- 1 small russet potato (about 4 oz.)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (low-fat, or regular)
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped up (I use my hands and squeeze them)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 -3 tablespoon your favorite taco sauce
- 6 slices pickled jalapeno chile (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (C.190°).
- Lightly coat a 2-qt. casserole with cooking spray.
- Peel and grate the potato into a bowl.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Spread evenly over the bottom of the prepared casserole. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potato is browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground sirloin, onion, and garlic in a large non-stick skillet, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon as it browns. Discard any excess fat.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, chili powder, and the cabbage. Season with pepper to taste.
- Saute, stirring, for a minute or two. If mixture seems too dry, add a tablespoon of the bottled taco sauce, adding up to 2 tablespoons more.
- When potatoes are done, spoon beef mixture on top of potatos. Top with remaining cheese and jalapeno slices(if using).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cssserole is hot and bubbly. Serve at once.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was very easy and tasted WONDERFUL ~ loved the mix of flavors. I used Ro*tel tomatoes with green chilis, and a mix of colby jack and mozzarella cheeses. Personally, I would add more potatoes next time, even though it was delicious as written. Great weeknight dinner when time is short and you want something savory. Thanks for posting. Made for MAY FARM COOKING PHOTO TAG.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I would like to welcome you to my recipes. I have been with Food.com since 10/05. My beloved husband, Tom, passed away 3 years ago. My world stopped. It's taken me all this time to find my way back to life without him. I have been so blessed to have found my second, once in a lifetime. I've met an amazing man who is so good to me. We moved from Las Vegas, Nevada to Bullhead City, Az. in February, and we love it here. I have worked at Bally's and Paris hotel.casinos, in Las Vegas. I have seen some very famous entertainers, including Liza Minnelli, Penn and Teller, Ray Liotta, Dr. J (Julius Erving), Frank Sinatra and his wife Barbara Marx. and many, many more. Cooking is my passion, and I am slowly, but surely beginning to venture into the world of baking. To me, cooking is so much easier because baking is so much more exact. I love to make Italian and Mexican food the best, followed by Chinese and last, but by far the least, good old American food! How can you beat chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy?? I love to find several recipes and put my own spin on them and create a new recipe.