Fall Veggie Stew
For a one dish meal make Recipe #391992 and add to top of stew during the last twenty minutes of cooking.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 2⁄3 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 medium potatoes, unpeeled thin skined, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups winter squash, cubed, about 1 inch (butternut, acorn, any type winter squash will work)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, halved
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Saute onion, bell pepper, and celery in oil in large saucepan untill onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in 3 cups stock; heat to boiling. Mix remaining 2/3 cup stock and flour; stir into boiling mixture. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Stir potatoes, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, peas, and herbs into stew. Simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- RECOMED: Topping with Herb Dumplings.
- Spoon dumpling mixture on top of stew in 6 large spoonfuls; cook over low heat, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cook, covered, 10 minutes longer or until dumplings are tender and pass the toothpick test.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Just what I've been looking for! My cook time was under 10 min as I used a pressure cooker, so I will be making this often. I used pre-cut butternut squash, which was SO much easier. It was a bit bland tasting so I added a couple splashes of Chipotle Tabasco, and that made it just right. Thanks Debbwl-<br/>Roxygirl
You just feel plain good after this dish. It's very hearty, delicious and healthy. All of the veggies went in and the squash was Delicata. Served with a multi grain roll it made a great Fall dinner. I made a half amount and it still made lots for the two of us! If there is something that you don't care for just skip it or replace it with something you do like, the recipe would be very adaptable to almost anything.