MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Great to give as a gift or accompany your Sunday dinner. This bread is tender and chewy with a hint of sweetness.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 5 cups warm water, divided (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus
- 2⁄3 cup honey, divided
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 6 -8 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water and 1 tablespoon honey. Add the remaining water and honey, the oil, sugar, salt, whole wheat flour, wheat germ and 3 cups bread flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into four loaves. Place in 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 loaves (16 slices each).
- 45 mins prep + rising. Bake: 30 minutes + cooling.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION