Emeril Lagasse's Potato, Onion & Roquefort Soup
photo by Ambervim
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese, , or other creamy blue cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons tawny port
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring, until just beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, cayenne, and bay leaf, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Remove from the heat and puree until smooth.
- Add the light and heavy creams, and stir well to blend.
- Gently reheat and barely simmer; careful not to boil.
- Add 3/4 cup of the cheese, the thyme, and Port, and whisk until the cheese is just melted.
- Adjust the seasonings, to taste.
- Top each serving with some of the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and the crumbled bacon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Las Vegas. I was lucky enough to run into Recipezaar around Nov. 2000 and got hooked quickly. I am a cookbook collector and have been collecting recipes for as long as I can remember. My DH had to build in shelves for all my cookbooks! I like to dabble with OAMC and for a few years hosted the Budget/OAMC forum with some great people over there. Even though I don't work in the forum any longer I've set up a lot of cookbooks for the purpose of OAMC and stretching food that might be helpful. Please feel free to check them out! I go on food jags and cooking jags! Please come say hi to me and chat on facebook. I currently host a blog for saving money through finding deals and coupons if you are interested. Most of the time I try to cook and have a good dinner on the table but I'll be honest enough to say there is still fast food occasionally in the budget! I have had such wonderful support here whenever I need it. Thank you all for being here! Just a quick note on how I rate recipes: ? 5 stars - This recipe is perfect. (My DH is truly a critic and doesn't give 5's unless it's amazing) I would recommend it to others and would definitely make again. ? 4 stars - This recipe was good but I would change something in it next time. ? 3 stars - This is a recipe I would not make again but it was OK ? 2 stars - This recipe I would not make again and we didn't like it at all ? 1 star - This recipes did not work out/taste was unappealing and wouldn't make again