Easy Sticky Rice (In a Pasta Pot)
There are many recipes for sticky rice here, but his one is easy and doesn't require fancy equipment. From Cracking the Coconut, an award winning Thai cookbook by Su-Mei Yu, owner of my favorite Thai restaurant in San Diego. Yield is dependent on how much rice you make. I've stated 2 cups only because the site requires an amount. PREP TIME DOES NOT INCLUDE SOAKING TIME!
- Ready In:
- 6 corn husks (or more, fresh or dried and soaked for 30 mins)
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- Rinse the amount of rice you're using three times, then fill a bowl with cool water and let the rice soak overnight. It takes 5-6 hours for the rice to fully expand and soften.
- TIP: a good shortcut is to soak the rice in very warm water. When the water is cool, the rice will be soft. The water will turn murky and the rice grains slightly slimy, rinse once more in cool water. It might not be as soft and sticky as rice that has been soaked overnight, but it will do the job.
- Test to see if the rice is ready by pressing a grain lightly with your fingernails. If it breaks easily, it's ready.
- Line the steamer basket insert of a pasta pot with fresh corn husks or soaked dried corn husks (easy to find in Hispanic markets). Spray the husks with oil to prevent the rice from sticking, then spread the soaked rice evenly over the husks.
- Fill the pot with water to just under the steamer basket insert. Put the steamer insert into the pot, cover and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Steam the rice for at least 20 minutes, or longer.
- Transfer the rice to a serving bowl when ready to serve. Cover the rice with some corn husks to keep it moist and warm.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Super-simple to make, and perfect as-is used in Recipe#505837 (would probably add a bit of salt if I was planning to use it as a side dish for something savory). I was occupied with some other cooking for the day, so I started soaking this early enough that it would be ready for that night, which worked out perfectly for me. Thanks for posting! Made for The Hot Pink Panthers for ZWT9.Reply