Easy Cherry Cake
photo by Amanda M.
- Ready In:
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites (or 3, per cake mix directions)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (*see directions)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease or Spray bottom of two 8 or 9 inch cake pans.
- *Drain juice from cherries and add water to make 1 1/4 cups.
- Chop cherries in half.
- Beat cake mix, cherry juice/water, oil, egg whites and cherries in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 1 1/2 minutes
- Pour into pans.
- Bake 30- 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans.
- Run knife around sides of pans before removing.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- A White Mountain icing is very good.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Well this is truly a 4 1/2 star cake for me but it is very good! I can't say it is my favorite cake (I still love my lemon poppy seed cake more) but this is wonderfully delicious and different in its own respect. I did use a white cake mix called cherry chip (has flecks of cherry bits in it) flavored cake mix in place of the white for added cherry flavor and I only used 3 eggs as called for on my recipe box and not whites. Other than that all was the same and I really appreciate the wonderful change of pace. Sweet and delicious. My husbands coworker enjoyed the cake as well.
This recipe makes a very yummy cake. I had never had one that tasted like it before. The cake mix starts off white, but when you add the cherry juice, it turns a pretty pink color. I had trouble with the layers sliding when I was cutting it, but I think that was because the canned icing was too soft. I should have let it set up longer, but was too impatient to taste it. I used Betty Crocker Rich and Creamy Vanilla icing. I highly recommend this delicious and easy cake. Made for Spring PAC '09.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am the proud great-grandmother of four. I love to cook and never tire of looking for good recipes. Needless to say, on Zaar there's many great ones. I've been cooking for my next door neighbor and best friend, Curt, for several years now. He is such a good sport for letting me experiment on him. ;) He will be helping me with any reviews. A big thank you in advance to those who have tried one of my recipes. <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">