Dutch Speculaas Cookies (With Slivered Almonds on Top)
- Ready In:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 250 g butter (8.8 oz)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 125 g slivered almonds (4.4 oz)
- egg white (to glaze)
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Gradually add sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, mixing well, until the dough forms a ball.
- Place on a floured surface and roll out very thinly until it's about 3 mm (1/8th inch) thick.
- Use cookie cutters to shape into desired forms
- Brush the tops with lightly beaten egg white.
- Decorate tops with slivered almonds.
- Bake at 190 C (375 F) for about 12 minutes or until light golden brown.
Join The Conversation
First off, the taste of these cookies is 5 star. The spice blend for these is AWESOME!!!! But the dough and directions are lacking. After mixing the ingredients according to directions, the dough was very dry. I added a little vegetable oil to moisten it. I wonder if the dough needs to be refrigerated after mixing? It was very fragile to roll and place on cookie sheets. Overall, very good cookies. Also, they look beautiful decorated with the almonds. Thanks