Dutch Oven Cashew Chicken
photo by Chef floWer
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cashew halves
- 3⁄4 cup water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, in natural juice
- Add oil to Dutch oven or large skillet and heat to medium-high.
- Add onion and bell pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken breasts, carrots, celery and cashews.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add 1/4 cup water if needed.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1/2 cup water with sugar, vinegar, ketchup and cornstarch. Blend until smooth then stir in pineapple (including juice).
- Add cornstarch mixture to chicken and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Lower heat and simmer for another 20 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Serve over hot rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yum! This was very filing and so easy to prepare. I used both red & green bell peppers/capsicums and had to leave out the celery because I didn't have any at home. I think if I make it again I would add less sugar maybe 1/4 cup, because the dish was sweet enough with the pineapples. However we did enjoy the cashew chicken just as written. Thank you SusieQusie.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hello from suburban Fort Worth, Texas! <br /> <br /><br /> <br />______________________________________________ <br /> <br /> <br />*My rating system defined* <br /> <br />Very few recipes really knock my socks off - I love to cook but am not a gourmet. <br />This said: <br /> <br />***** - met all my expectations in taste & appearance; directions were clear & easy to follow. <br /> <br />**** - fell slightly short of my expectations in taste or appearance or directions were faulty or not completely clear. <br /> <br />*** - mediocre taste and/or appearance; most likely a recipe that I would not use again without much modification. <br /> <br />** - taste and/or appearance was not to my liking; a recipe that I would not attempt to modify or use again. <br /> <br />* - taste was absolutely not to my liking (I can't imagine ever using this rating as I can generally tell by the ingredients if I will enjoy the finished product or not) <br /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/chefbanner1.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/scmurray51/hagshat.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><br /> </p>