Dunkin Donuts Vanilla Filled Doughnuts (Copycat)
photo by anniesnomsblog
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package quick-rising yeast
- 1⁄8 cup tap water, warm
- 3⁄4 cup milk, lukewarm scalded then cooled
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixing bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 cup of flour. Beat on low speed scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in warm place until double, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Turn dough onto floured surface. Roll dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut with round cookie cutter. Cover and let rise on floured baking sheets until double, 30-40 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F. Slide doughnuts into hot oil. Turn doughnuts as they turn golden brown, about one minute on each side. Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surfaces) and drain.
- When cool, make small hole to insert vanilla filling (recipe follows) . Take a sharp narrow knife and carefully make a large cavity inside of the doughnut to hold the filling. Fill the doughnuts generously and dust heavily with confectioners' sugar.
- Vanilla Filling: Cream butter and shortening, gradually add sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add milk and vanilla, beat until light and fluffy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We've only just got Dunkin' Donuts here and it's not the same as I've heard the US stores are! I've always been intrigued as to all the fabulous donuts they make, so I had to make these! They are amazing!! Light, fluffy and that filling is to die for! I now know what I've been missing and I'm going to have to come to US one day to go to Dunkin' donuts! For now, I'm happy with these copycat versions though!
I made the vanilla filling. I tweaked it a little. I added more evaporated milk (2 tbs), and 1 tsp vanilla. I wasn't okay with the consistency of the filling, so I added 1 egg white. I whipped it into the mixture at the end. It made it nice and fluffy, just like I wanted it. I refrigerated it overnight. We filled eclairs with the vanilla filling and everybody said how great the filling tasted. It is a great recipe that I would suggest to others!!
have been trying to find this filling for awhile dunkin and publix bakery both use/but not all stores.food shopper kept bringing me bavarian cream. i did add a bit more milk(tiny bit at a time) to make it fluffier. made a lemon cake -cut long john style filled and topped with this and sprinkled coconut on top(sprinkles for 7 yr old niece) everyone loved it thanks so much.
These were very good and very easy to make. I had a little bit of a problem getting them to rise, but it was a little chilly and I expect that was the only issue. They are very soft and tasty and I will be making them again! I used Recipe #80246 as the filling for these. There are no Dunkin' Donuts up here in Alaska and this was the closest I can get. It helped shoo away some of the homesickness. Thanks a bunch for sharing!
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a housewife, I love to cook and experiment with different spices and flavors, there are not many recipe ideas I will not try. EXCEPT! anything that is extremely HOT and SPICY, I have a allot of family members living here and most of us spend the holidays together.We all Love to eat and look forward to the different AND the traditional recipes on the Holidays. My pet peeve...HUM it makes me crazy when someone cooks and leaves the mess pile up, It's easier to clean as you go, that way when the food is done you can actually sit down and enjoy it. I am very passionate about and being apart of the fight to prevent animal cruelty, and helping to educate people about what happens to Children or Pets left in vehicles on very hot or very cold days, also Pets left in extreme elements outside without the proper necessities. I believe that anyone that purposely harms or torturers a child or a animal is a Coward!