Decadent Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
photo by The Pantry Elf
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 5 ounces toasted coconut marshmallows (half of a 10 oz. package)
- 5 ounces regular marshmallows (half of a 10 oz. package)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 (12 ounce) package dark chocolate chips (I use Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 50 pieces M&M's
- For The Rice Krispie Treats: Grease a 13x9x2 pan and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt the butter or margerine over low heat, then add the marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat, and using a buttered spatula stir in the cereal until all of it is coated with the marshmallows.
- Press cereal into the greased pan with the spatula. Let cool.
- To Make The Ganache: Using a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate, butter, and salt together, stirring often. Add the milk slowly, using more as necessary to reach a creamy consistency.
- Add the corn syrup slowly while stirring, until you see the chocolate turn glossy.
- Pour chocolate over Rice Krispie Treats and allow to cool for 5 minutes before dotting with candies (I made 5 rows of 10 pieces of candy, which made it easy to cut 50 squares of treats).
- Cool at room temperature, cut into squares, and enjoy!
- *NOTE: You can substitute 4 cups of mini marshmallows for all the marshmallows in the recipe if you prefer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!