Curried Vegetables with Dahl
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
One of the girls in my lunch bunch made this for us. I loved it and she was kind enough to share the recipe. Adapted from Moosewood.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 26mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 fresh green chili pepper, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Rinse the lentils well.
- In a saucepan, add water and lentils; cover pan and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, uncover the pan, and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- In a big soup pot, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and minced chile; saute for several minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, curry powder, cumin, and ginger; saute 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in the 2 cups of water.
- Add the cauliflower florets and bell peppers; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are simmering, pour the lentils and their cooking liquid into the container of an electric blender and puree for 2-3 minutes, to make a smooth dahl.
- When the cauliflower is tender, add in the spinach, lentil puree, and lemon juice.
- Simmer just until the spinach has wilted.
- Add salt to taste and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Doubled this to take to an Indian food potluck. It made so much that it seemed as if I could feed all of India! This was quite tasty - everyone loved it. I have been following a low-fat, plant based diet so did not use the oil, rather used a little of water to simmer the vegetables and chile. I was pleasantly surprised by the resulting creaminess of the pureed lentils that was achieved with no oil or dairy. I exchanged butternut squash for the sweet potatoes and that worked well. Lovely - we'll have this again. Thank ratherbeswimmin'.1Reply