photo by Sharon123
- Ready In:
- Peel the ginger and slice it into rounds 1/8 inch thick.
- For every cup of prepared ginger you will need 3 cups of water and 3 cups of sugar.
- In a large to huge pot bring the water/sugar to a boil and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- When dissolved add the ginger and boil for 45 minutes stirring almost constantly.
- You want the ginger tender and getting that translucent look about it.
- You also don't want it at a full rolling boil-just a little less.
- Drain the ginger reserving the liquid.
- Separate and place on a rack to dry for around 30 minutes-it's gonna be a bit sticky-and then coat with sugar-I would whirl it a bit in a spice grinder to get it half powder, half granulated.
- Set it out on wax paper to dry-this took a few hours with a lot of hand slapping.
- Store in an air tight container.
- As for the remaining syrup you can boil and reduce to a syrup-something between maple syrup and honey and use on pancakes, waffles or ice cream.