Crunchy Oven Fried Tilapia
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sift or stir flour, salt and pepper together in a shallow dish, and set aside. In a bowl, beat egg whites until white and frothy. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs with cornmeal and basil.
- To bread fillets, dip first into flour, shaking off any excess, then into egg whites, then into bread crumb mixture.
- Spray a shallow baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Lay fillets flat in the dish, tucking under any thinner ends or edges for more even cooking.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with fork.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I don't really like fish all that much, except the really bad for you kind at Long John Silvers, but I LOVED this. I added more egg whites and bread crumbs to my mixture to make the coating easier, but otherwise followed the recipe. My family loved this and it's a healthy easy way to make fish! Next time, I will try panko!
I have made this recipe several times now. It's easy and versatile. Last night I was being lazy and didn't separate the egg. Tasted great. A few more fat grams and calories. Oh well. Seasonings can be adjusted and changed to your taste. I like to put a little cracked pepper in the bread crumb mix and a tablespoon of lemon juice in the egg. Also, panko crumbs work great. A little crunchier, which is really the most fun and tasty. Otherwise, I have used Progresso Italian seasoned bread crumbs. Yum. I make these a sheet at a time. Leftovers are not quite as crunchy, but definitely as tasty.