Croatian “cobanac” Stew
photo by nitko
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 50mins
- 300 g beef
- 300 g horse meat
- 600 g onions
- 500 g potatoes
- 1 tablespoon lard
- 150 g pancetta (dried, smoked)
- 15 g porcini mushrooms (dried)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (Hungarian, sweet)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (Hungarian, hot)
- 1 cup wine (white, dry)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 g salt
- 8 g pepper
- 3 cups water
- Cut horse and beef meat into small pieces (not larger than 2x2 cm). Do the same with potato.
- Finely mince onion.
- Soak dried porcini mushrooms in cold water about 15 minutes, and than cut into small pieces.
- Cut pancetta into small pieces.
- Heat the lard and sauté onion until translucent. Add meat and continue to sauté (covered) 20 minutes. At that point meat will start to leave juices.
- Add paprika, salt, pepper, bay leaf, pancetta and thyme. Stir well and continue to sauté 5 minutes; now add wine, stir and sauté until alcohol evaporates.
- Add potato and water to cover meat and potato. Add mushrooms. Stir and cook on easy fire about 120 minutes.
- If you need to add more salt do it, but do not add additional pepper or hot paprika. If you want it hot, do it at the beginning.
- The stew must be soup-like. You eat it only with spoon. All ingredients must be soft and easy to eat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!