Croatian Cabbage Stew ( Prisiljeno Zelje”)
This recipe is at least 200 years old. My grand-grandmother was preparing cabbage that way, my, grandmother was preparing that way, my mother was preparing that way, so I am preparing it that way. This is very healthy meal, although it is prepared on pork fat.
- Ready In:
- 500 g cabbage (one medium cabbage head)
- 50 g smoked bacon (smoked, dried)
- 200 g tomatoes (strained juice)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lard (but oil can do)
- Cut the cabbage to narrow strips approximately 5mm wide and 2-5 cm long.
- Heat water with vinegar and when it boils put cabbage in it.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- During this put sliced bacon (in small cubes) on fat until transparent, add flour and brown it.
- Add cold water, tomato juice.
- Take out cabbage with hollow spoon, and throw the water out.
- Add caraway seeds, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook about 30 minutes or until cabbage softens.
- Serve as a side dish to sausages, pork chops, and similar meat and mashed potato.