Creamy Potato and Peppered Bacon Soup
photo by Cleanfreshcuisine
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 (48 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pepper bacon
- 1 large sweet onion
- 12 -14 medium red and gold potatoes
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup dried oregano
- 1⁄3 cup fresh chives
- In a large stockpot, combine two large chicken thighs and 3 quarts of water. Bring to a boil over high heat and turn to medium high. Let cook for about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove chicken from water and save for another recipe. Wash potatoes and cut into 1 inch chunks. Add to boiling water. Roughly chop onion and add to the pot. If you are using canned broth, simply bring to a boil and add the potatoes and onion. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper and oregano. Cook, over medium high heat, for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium high heat until nicely browned. Drain on paper towels. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces and add to the pot.
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add flour and stir.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly until mixture thickens, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Pour into soup. Cook and stir over medium high heat for an additional 10 to 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh chives and serve with a green salad and soft French bread. Serves 8 to 10.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Kyle and I am a Mom, a chef, a blogger and an event planner