Creamy Potato & Bacon Soup
I found a recipe for potato soup that I loved - then I lost it :( I searched online for it but never found it. I did find one with similar ingredients, so I used it and tweaked it a bit. I have to give credit to the original recipe which was on Allrecipes(dot)com. It was my inspiration.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bacon, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 6 cups of diced potatoes
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus some for garnish
- 4 green onions, sliced for garnish
- Cook bacon until crisp in large pot. Remove and drain well on paper towels. Discard most of the bacon grease. Leave about a tablespoon of grease in the pot.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables. Add carrot and celery to the pot on medium heat. Add a bit of salt and pepper. Saute until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in chicken broth, potatoes, and cayenne pepper; add a bit of salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Scoop out about 1/3 of the veggies and place in a mixing bowl. Using a hand-held blender, blend the veggies until the consistency of creamed potatoes. Add back to the soup and stir in half & half until the soup is the consistency you prefer. Add about half of the bacon. Stir in cheese, heating just until melted--do not boil. Adjust seasoning to taste by adding salt, if desired. Serve with bacon, cheese, and green onions as garnish.