1. Cook bacon in a large saucepan and then remove the bacon to paper towels and leave the grease. I have also cooked the bacon in the microwave in a microwave safe plate lined with paper towels then squeezed the grease out of the paper towels into the pot I cook the soup inches Works fine that way too.
2. Saute the onions in the bacon grease for 4 minutes or until they are tender.
3. Sprinkle with arrowroot starch then cook and stir for about 1 minute.
4. Slowly add chicken broth while stirring.
5. Add the potatoes and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 30 minutes, or until potatoes are very tender.
7. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes. If you like chunks of potato, don't mash much. If you like it less chunky, mash a lot. If you like it creamier, you can use an immersion blender.
8. Add nutritional yeast and stir.
9. Add coconut milk and stir.
10. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and crumbled bacon.
11. Additional toppings could include green onions, fresh basil, fresh pico de gallo (shredded cheese or sour cream if you're not on Whole30 and tolerate dairy).