Creamy Caramel Flan
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
1 10 inch round pie
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 5 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, cook sugar, stirring, until golden.
- Pour into a 10 inch round baking dish, tilting to coat bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated.
- Beat in condensed and evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour into caramel coated pan.
- Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel.
- Place baking dish on towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack.
- Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven 50 to 60 minutes, until center is just set.
- Cool one hour on wire rack, then chill in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight. To unmold, run a knife around edges of pan and invert on a rimmed serving platter.
- HINT: This came from one of the reviewers - Pouring the sugar syrup into the glass baking dish, and because the glass was cool, the sugar hardened almost immediately. So after spending 30 minutes chipping a rock-hard blob of sugar out of the bottom of the dish, tried it again. But this time, put the baking dish in a hot oven for about 5 minutes before adding the sugar. The hot dish kept the sugar liquified just long enough for to get an even coating.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"