Creamy Basque Shrimp Scampi
- Ready In:
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper, then dust with flour.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet. Add shrimp and cook over medium heat about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove shrimp from pan and drain the oil from pan.
- In the same skillet, warm the wine over low heat. Add shrimp and cook for 1 minute.
- Add butter, lemon juice, and heavy cream. Cook 1 or two minutes more.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
Join The Conversation
Using Icelandic baby shrimp, I made a half recipe of this delicious scampi for the PRMR game & served it as an appy in gratin dishes over toast points for Christmas Eve dinner w/DH & my MIL. Other than using butter vs vegetable oil, I made just 1 other chg & added garlic that I see as a must (for me at least) in a scampi recipe. It was richly flavoured, generously sauced, well-received & an elegant start to our main holiday meal. Thx for sharing your recipe w/us. :-)
Very tasty, as well as quick and easy to make. I normally like to add garlic to everything, but it was not missed here. The shrimp have a very rich, flavorful quality. The only thing different I did was to add a pinch of cayenne. Then I served it over 8 oz. of angel hair pasta (any more would absorb all the sauce). I will definitely make this again, and try it with orzo. Thanks for a lovely recipe. Made for PRMR.