15 Minute Shrimp Scampi
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped fine or processed
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup white wine (nearly any kind, just not overly sweet)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb precooked jumbo frozen shrimp, thawed
- salt & pepper
- 1 package angel hair pasta
- start salted water boiling for pasta.
- heat olive oil.
- saute garlic& onions over high heat till onions start to turn clear.
- add wine, turn to medium heat& reduce for 5 minutes (alcohol smell will be gone) add shrimp till warmed through (start to curl up).
- stir in butter till melted.
- turn heat to lo/warm.
- salt& pepper to taste.
- cover till pasta is ready (2-3 minutes for angel hair to cook).
- serve together.
Got locked at home all day by an appliance repairman who didn't show up until the end of the day, so found myself scrounging the cabinet and surfing the 'net to see what I could make for dinner. My wife had recently bought a pound of frozen cooked shrimp at Trader Joe's so used that ingredient to find this recipe. Had everything on hand, so gave it a try. Big hit, even with my exceedingly picky 13-year-old! Served it over whole wheat linguini, which stood up nicely to heavily flavored sauce. I followed a couple of suggestions and added a half teaspoon of old bay and a generous shake of dried parsley. Even with six large cloves of garlic, both my wife and daughter asked for more. Will play with the recipe in the future, and try different amounts of butter and oil. I
Wonderful and so easy to make. I followed the recipe exactly and the flavor was outstanding. However, towards the end a few things flew in the pot. I poured the scampi mixture onto the pasta mixed it up real well, and then decided I was going to add some basil and oregano, some garlic powder...can't get enough of the garlic:) Lastly, I added about 1/4 c of Parmesan cheese...yummy!