Creamy Baked Chicken
photo by Beej Cobalt
- Ready In:
- 5 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese (very soft)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- parmesan cheese, for top (optional)
- cooked rice
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in a skillet and brown the chicken on both sides (seasoning with season salt and pepper while browning) place the chicken into the baking dish.
- In a large bowl mix together cream of chicken soup, sour cream, soft cream cheese, garlic, onion, green onions, Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese and black pepper until well combined.
- Season with salt if desired.
- Pour over the chicken in the baking dish and turn the chicken to coat with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with more grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Wow! This was really good. What was even better is what I did with the leftovers! We served the chicken with mashed potatoes & a veggie so there was an abundance of sauce left & 2 chicken breasts. I cooked up some small shell pasta dumped it in a baking dish with the sauce & cubed up chicken mixed in. Topped it with a mixture of Ritz, parmesan, cheddar cheese, herbs & melted butter. Baked at 350° for about 30 minutes. Phenomenal!!! You can also add some veggies. We had peas as a side which I ended up mixing in on my plate. The whole family loved the original recipe & my casserole from the leftovers, even my picky 3 year old!
Instead of the raw garlic and onions in the sauce mixture I added them to the pan the chicken was in, the minced garlic and onion smelled divine as it sauteed in the hot oil with the chicken. Also, instead of yellow cheddar I used sharp white. I scraped the pan after removing the chicken and added the well sauteed onion garlic mixture to the sauce. The fragrance from the garlic etc was heavenly. The meal was awesome..oh, I did use noodles instead of rice..a house full of men and nothing but praise all around!
see 3 more reviews
Didn't have cream of chicken on hand so I used cream of shrimp lol. Worked out just fine! Left out the onions, and used 3 sprigs of green onion, cut where someone could pick out if they didn't like it. Skipped the skillet step-ain't nobody got time for extra dishes ;) Used shredded cheddar instead of grated. Used a pinch of garlic salt because I didn't have fresh. Next time will probably use a smidge more, just didn't want to mess up the dish. Plan on adding bacon next time as well. This time I just added bacon bits to my own plate. The family loved it!!