Corned Beef Surprise
This is a recipe from Guam and uses canned corned beef (Hormel makes a 12-oz variety). You could also substitute a can of Spam (a Hawaiian favorite) for a similar result.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef (Hormel or other brand)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash italian seasoning (optional)
- 1 dash dried basil (optional)
- 1 dash dried parsley (optional)
- 1 dash chili powder (optional)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups small grained white rice, cooked for serving
- Heat a large skillet, over medium heat, and lightly saute onion and bell pepper in the oil about 2 to 3 minutes; add the corned beef and combine with the onion and peppers by breaking the beef up with a wooden spoon and stirring.
- Flatten mixture evenly in the bottom of the pan, then pour the tomato sauce evenly over top; reduce heat, if needed, to prevent sauce bubbling out of the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper and other seasonings as desired, to taste (DO NOT STIR).
- Simmer, uncovered, over medium low heat, until liquid has mostly evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Place about 1 cup of rice on each of 4 serving dishes, then divide beef mixture into 4 and use a spatula to place each portion on top of the rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 2 more