Copycat Chipotle Sofritas Salad
photo by EmKenBken
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 (14 ounce) packages extra firm tofu
- 1 (7 1/16 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo, 2 chipotle peppers chopped, 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, reserved
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 3⁄4 cups salsa, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 cups green leaf lettuce
- 3⁄4 cup pinto beans
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup guacamole
- Wrap each block of tofu in two layers of paper towels place in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a double layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Top tofu with another baking sheet and press down firmly. Weigh down with heavy cans; let stand until tofu has released excess liquid, at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour. Remove tofu from baking sheet and pat dry with paper towels. Into a large bowl, crumble tofu into 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside.
- To the bowl of a food processor or blender, add chipotle peppers, chipotle sauce, garlic, 3/4 cup salsa, honey, salt, pepper, and, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Process on medium until the sofritas sauce is smooth and completely combined.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, add half of the tofu, stir only a few times, so the tofu browns well about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove tofu from skillet; set aside. Add remaining tablespoon of oil to skillet; cook remaining tofu. Once the second batch of tofu is browned, combine the first batch of browned tofu in skillet.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!