Copycat Chick-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich
photo by EmKenBken
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1⁄2 cup pickle juice
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
For the chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 egg
- 6 cups peanut oil
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 pickle chips from 1 jar of pickle chips (16oz)
- In a medium bowl whisk together wet ingredients, add chicken, making sure to coat evenly. Allow chicken to marinate for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium sized pot, over medium-high, heat oil to 350°F While oil heats, in a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Reserving the marinade, remove the chicken to a plate. Whisk the egg into the marinade. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, one piece at a time, shaking off excess egg mixture. Dredge chicken piece in flour mix, making sure to coat evenly on both sides. Repeat the breading process (egg mixture to flour mix) one more time, set chicken aside. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Once oil is heated, cook chicken until golden brown on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes a side. Chicken should be opaque in the center. Place cooked chicken on prepared baking sheet to drain.
- Brush toasted buns with butter, place two pickle slices on each bun and top with chicken.
Questions & Replies
Made this last night and it didn't come out quite right. Seems like the second dredge was too much. Also, 3 cups of flower and 6 cups of peanut oil seemed wasteful. I ended up throwing most of the flour mix. Any thoughts on cutting back on the flour and using less oil? Also, next time I'm going to try chicken breast or thin cut chicken breast instead of thighs.