Cooked Pumpkin [native America]
photo by um-um-good
- Here is the method I use to cook it: Cut the pumpkin into quarters and remove the seeds and fibers.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and bake the pumpkin quarters 45 minutes, until tender.
- Remove from the oven and scrape the flesh from the skin.
- Place in a food processor and puree.
- Run through a sieve to remove any remaining fibers and use the pumpkin according to the recipe instructions.
- Cooked pumpkin will keep about 1 week in a nonmetal, covered container in the refrigerator and several months in the freezer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Worked really well, except I apparently had a field or carving pumpkin, instead of a sugar pumpkin, the kind you need for pies. I baked it for a total of 1.5 hours, and it was still hard to scrape it and my blender almost had a heart attack! I got rave reviews for the pie, though! So make sure you use a sugar or pie pumpkin!
So I used a candy pumpkin and baked it for 45 minutes but it was still too hard and wouldn't blend in my processor. I had to bake them at least another 20 minutes but ended up losing a quarter because I thought it was baked completely but it wasn't. Lots of work but worth it. SOOO much better than store its crazy. I thought I liked the store brand but I will never go back. Thank you!