Colorful Holiday Potatoes
This recipe has grown into one of my favorite side dishes; and I started out not even liking sweet potatoes! This has changed my opinion forever! Adapted from a Honey Baked Ham recipe I picked up years ago.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, peeled
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup Fontina cheese (can substitute white cheddar)
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, separated
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 11 x 7 x 1 1/2-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Slice potatoes 1/8 inch thin; place in water for 20 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix flour and butter until smooth.
- In medium saucepan; heat milk and broth over medium low heat.
- Add flour mixture to hot milk; cook stirring until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce to low; stir in 1/2 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup fontina cheese, thyme, salt and pepper mixing well.
- Remove from heat.
- Alternate layers of drained potato with sweet potato adding 1/4 of sauce and 1/8 cup fontina between each layer.
- Top with 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Bake covered with foil for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake for 45-55 minutes until potatoes are tender and top is browned.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION