Coleslaw by Biltmore
photo by Chicagoland Chef du
- Ready In:
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic, garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 6 cups shredded cabbage, slaw mix works
- 1⁄2 cup shedded carrot
- For the dressing: In a saucepan combine the vinegar, sugar and all dry spices.
- Over medium-low heat, simmer until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and cool completely. This can be done ahead of time.
- In a food processor: Add the vinegar reduction gradually to the mayonnaise, pulsing to incorporate well. This can also be done in a bowl with a whisk. Can now be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- For the slaw, combine the cabbage and carrot in a bowl. Add as much dressing as you like. Go easy, I doubt you will add it all. Mix well. (*If you have some dressing leftover, store for up to 2 weeks in the fridge for future use).
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi there! Originally CHICAGOLAND CHEF DU JOUR, I like to think of myself as a fantastic home cook with a flair for the gourmet. I have gotten & shared many recipes since I became a member in 2007. Although I have not been active in a few years, I still return to look for recipes from some of my fave chefs. Thanks to all you have helped me over the years and thanks a bunch to any and all reviews.