Coconutty Orange-Apricot Sticky Buns
photo by LUv 2 BaKE
- Ready In:
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup lightly toasted coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water;let stand about 5 minutes until foamy.
- Stir together proofed yeast mixture, egg, coconut milk, butter, sugar, salt, and 1-2 cups of the flour; gradually stir in remaining flour (a KitchenAid stand mixer or bread machine may be used) until a very soft and somewhat sticky dough comes together;add additional flour a tablespoon at a time if necessary to preclude excess stickiness, but be careful not to add too much.
- Knead (a KitchenAid stand mixer or bread machine may be used) about 8 minutes until dough is smooth and still soft.
- Place dough into oiled bowl; cover bowl and put in a warm place; allow dough to rise about 1 1/4 hours until doubled.
- Meanwhile, cream together butter, brown sugar, orange zest, and orange juice to make the glaze; spread glaze evenly across the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan.
- Combine pecans, coconut, apricots, orange zest, sugar, and cinnamon (save the melted butter for later) to make the filling; stir and toss to mix well.
- Measure out 1 cup of the filling and sprinkle it evenly over the glaze already in the baking pan; set remainder aside.
- Once dough has doubled; punch it down then turn out onto a lightly floured surface such as a large cutting board or clean countertop; roll or pat the dough into a 12x18" rectangle.
- Brush dough rectangle with 2 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle remaining filling evenly over the dough, leaving a 1" margin along one of the long sides.
- Roll the dough up jelly-roll-style,beginning with the long side without a margin, into a tight cylinder, ending at the long side with the margin; pinch along the long seam and at the ends to seal the roll shut.
- Cut (see the NOTE below for a very easy cutting method) the roll into 12 even pieces, each about 1 1/2" wide; arrange the cut pieces, pretty-side down, on top of the glaze in the baking pan.
- Cover the pan and allow the buns to rise about 45 minutes or until once-again doubled.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes until the buns are golden-brown with sugar bubbling up between them; cool in baking pan 5 minutes, then invert onto a baking sheet; continue to cool a few minutes longer then pull apart the sticky buns; serve while still warm or cool completely.
- NOTE: Using both hands, slide a two-foot length of plain dental floss under the dough roll; bring the ends of the floss up and across each other at the place you want to cut; pull the floss tight to make a very clean cut straight through the dough.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
If you love the real 'ol fashioned cinnamon rolls like I always have, you should LOVE these buns as well! These are sooo finger-lickin' good that you'll have a difficult time stopping after eating just 2 or 3! The combo of flavors is so delicious! A great dessert for company if only you can keep them around long enough!!
WOW. These are outstanding!!! The oh so soft dough just seems to melt in your mouth, while the incredibly fragrant, flavourful toasted coconut combined with the apricot, orange and pecans give a deliciously sweet result. I am very impressed with this recipe! The dough seemed to rise fairly slow for me, but since the buns rose a lot in the oven while baking it didn't matter. I used light coconut milk, and a little less 1/4 cup of butter for the glaze (to decrease the fat content a bit) which worked nicely for me. I think these would be just as delicious without the glaze. Thank so much for a wonderful winner of a recipe. Reviewed for RSC #9.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
A happily married wife and mom of two young adults, who enjoys a variety of creative pursuits including a love of cooking and baking. I also enjoy gardening, nature, travel, and skiing. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/55221/homemadepastaforzaarpage.jpg"> Recipezaar is my favorite cooking website. I can't believe eight years have passed since I first found this wonderful cooking community! Life circumstances have recently kept me away, but I hope to be back soon. I really appreciate those who have kindly reviewed or photographed my recipes ~ <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/Zaar/thankyou.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/Zaar/aboutmepagefont.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac2.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac6.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac5.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac1.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac3.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac4.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg" hspace="0" vspace="4"><img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif" hspace="0" vspace="4"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif" hspace="1" vspace="5"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/ParticipationBanner.jpg" hspace="1"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/craze-e2banner.jpg" hspace="2"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/Dollar%20Contest/DiningonaDollarParticipant.jpg" vspace="3" hspace="4"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC9-Debs.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC10-Debs.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-Debs.jpg"><img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC12-DebsRecipes.jpg" vspace="7"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/RSC%20Lucky%2013/ParticipationSticker.jpg" hspace="8" vspace="3"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/sticker.jpg" hspace="8" vspace="4">