Coconut Tapioca Pie
photo by PanNan
- Ready In:
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 (9 inch) ready-made vanilla cookie pie crusts
- In a medium-size saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, sugar, tapioca and eggs.
- Mix thoroughly and let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast coconut in a dry skillet over high heat, stirring constantly until golden brown.
- Pour onto a plate to cool.
- Cook tapioca mixture over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and mix in vanilla and coconut extracts.
- Set saucepan in a bowl of ice water and stir filling until cold, about 4 minutes.
- Whip cream in a medium bowl until stiff.
- Carefully fold filling into whipped cream until mixed.
- Spoon into pie shell and sprinkle edges with toasted coconut.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes, then serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Absolutely superb combination! I used just a regular pastry shell, prebaked and cooled, and whipped up 2 pkgs of dream whip per directions since I didn't have any heavy cream on hand. I also added the coconut into the filling. What a fantastic creamy pie! It filled up the pie shell for a nice deep pie. Thanks a heap for this recipe!