An easy and memorable side dish for chicken, arepas and grilled fish.You can get unsweetened coconut at Indian or specialty grocers.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup white long grain rice such as basmati rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut or 1/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted*
- Combine all ingredients, except coconut, bring to boil, cover, and simmer low, stirring occasionally until rice is almost done (about 10 mins).
- Remove from heat and remove pan cover, stir rice.
- Fold a kitchen towel in half and place over pan, then place the pan cover over the towel.
- Let "rest" for 15 minutes.
- To serve, fluff rice with a fork and pour into a serving bowl, garnish with toasted coconut.
- *Put the coconut in a dry frying pan and over medium heat, stir constantly until the coconut is browned, but be watchful, the coconut browns quickly, then burns fast.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This dish complimented your Apricot/Lemon Chicken recipe #143365. I think the rice needs to be served with a dish that has a nice flavorful sauce to spoon over. I did use brown basmati rice which increased the cooking time. The technique with allowing the rice to rest results in a nice fluffy rice dish.Reply