Cinnamon Chicken Stew
Found on another site, looks pretty interesting:)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3 - 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- adobo seasoning
- 3 tablespoons annatto oil
- 1⁄2 cup basic recaito
- 8 ounces smoked ham, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Season the chicken with the adobo.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the recaito and ham over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, and water and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken, cinnamon, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil again.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
5 trillion stars for a most EXCELLENT, EASY to make and DELICIOUS recipe. I've made this twice, the 2nd time using thigh & leg portions and this time took a photo. The sauce is out of this world tasty - a perfect blend of the seasonings and other ingredients that I can only describe as authentically Mexican. The cinnamon and cilantro flavors come through very well but don't overwhelm other flavors; it's not hot but is strong/robust. Truly one of the best sauces I've ever tasted and the chicken was very tender. I VERY MUCH ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO TRY THIS RECIPE! For those that can't get Recaito I used a small onion, about 1/4 C of finely diced green pepper, 1 heaping teaspoon of chopped garlic and around a Tablespoon of fresh cilantro, also chopped. I sprinkled one side of the chicken with Chile powder until well covered. I reccomend either browning the chicken pieces 1st or using skinless, as the skin stays soft due to the cooking method. (made as part of the Recipe Rescue game)