Chunky Vegetable and Barley Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, with juices chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh curly-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped (light green part only)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- On high heat, heat a large pot with some extra virgin olive oil, and sautee the onion, garlic, and turmeric until the onions are translucent.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add the tomatoes, water, cilantro, parsley, scallions, and leek, and cook for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat down to simmer. Add celery and carrots and cook for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the barley, and cook for 30 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally. Add more salt and pepper if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!