Chocolate Custard Cake With Butterscotch Orange Frosting
photo by Fat Free Queen
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg beaters)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour or 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, scalding hot
- 2 eggs or 4 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Orange Butterscotch Frosting
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons spn butter schnapps
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon spn orange zest
- 2 tablespoons spn orange juice
- 1 tablespoon spn skim milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line 2 nine-inch round cake pans and grease the sides of the pans. ( or use one designer pan and cut cake in half at the end).
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- Beat together the oil and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in the vanilla and the applesauce.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until cake is fully cooked.
- Custard filling:.
- Mix the sugar, flour and salt, and vanilla together in a double boiler and add the hot milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook until the mixture thickens.
- Pour a 1/4 cup over the eggs and mix thoroughly; pour back into the first mixture and cook for at least 5 more minutes while stirring constantly.
- (I flash freez my custard filling to chill faster while stirring every two minutes).
- Orange Butterscotch frosting: In a medium bowl mix softened butter, and milk.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar and mix thouroughly. Keep adding sugar, butter schnapps, orange juice, and rest of ingredients until it is the consistancy desired.
- Cut cake in half and fill with custard. Drizzle with frosting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!