Chocolate Chip Bran Muffins
Want to be healthy and naughty too? These muffins are fantastic. They are cooked in the microwave and you can cook up as many as you want--the batter keeps for several days in the refrigerator. Recipe comes from Hershey's Chocolate Treasury.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 4mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-bran cereal
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I use half Splenda and half sugar.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- all-bran cereal, for topping
- Combine the 1-1/2 cup cereal and boiling water in a medium bowl; blend well and allow to cool.
- Add buttermilk, oil and egg; blending well.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; stir in cereal mixture, mini chips and chopped apricots.
- Stir until moistened.
- Spray six 5- to 6-oz custard cups with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill each cup half full with batter and sprinkle each with 2 tsp.
- bran flake cereal.
- Microwave on high for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 minutes, turning 1/4 turn at end of each minute, or until wooden toothpick inserted off center comes out clean.
- Tops will appear moist, let them stand several miutes.
- Repeat the cooking procedure for remaining batter or place the left over batter in the fridge and store for another day.