Chocolate Caramel Thumbprints
photo by SweetsLady
- Ready In:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 vanilla caramels
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups pecans, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Separate egg; set egg yolk aside. Cover and chill egg white until needed. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until combined. Beat in egg yolk, milk, and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with mixer. Stir in any remaining flour mixture. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F In small saucepan, cook and stir caramels and whipping cream over low heat until mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- Slightly beat reserved egg white. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll balls in egg white, then in pecans to coat. Place balls 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheet. Using your thumb, make indention in center of each cookie.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Spoon melted caramel mixture into indentation. (If necessary, reheat caramel mixture to keep it spoon able.) Transfer cookies to wire rack; cool.
- In another small saucepan, combine chocolate chips and shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Cool slightly. Drizzle cookies with chocolate mixture. Let stand until chocolate is set.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are awesome! I had seen this one in a TOH a year or so ago. Wonderful and great cookie for CHRISTmas trays. I usually put the chocolate chips in a small ziploc bag and heat in microwave for about a minute and then cut a small piece off the corner to drizzle. :) Thanks, RecipeNut! Made for Potluck Game! This recipe made it into our book#179809!