Chocolate Brownie Waffles
photo by victoriannqueen
- Ready In:
3-6 depending on size
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, seperated
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- Grease and preheat waffle iron.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa, and walnuts in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, and cooking oil.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture. Stir until combined, but still lumpy.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- GENTLY, fold the egg whites into the lumpy batter.
- Pour the batter onto the iron and bake until done.
- For an even more sinful treat, top with whipped cream, fresh strawberries or raspberries, chocolate sauce and chopped nuts.
If I could, I'd give these 4 and half stars... Although a little bit more work than I prefer for a waffle (three bowls and beaters), these baked up *beautifully* and had the *best* texture of any waffle I've made in a while! Unlike most chocolate waffle recipes, these are much closer to a traditional waffle than dessert in flavor; overall we liked that very much, but still wished there had been a little more chocolate flavor to them. SO, next time I will make these minor changes: 1) I will use the full amount of chocolate chips, but use miniature ones instead so their flavor will be better distributed through the waffle, 2) increase the sugar by no more than 50%, and 3) add a small amount of vanilla to the milk/egg mixture. Thanks for a great addition to my waffle collection!
Chocoholics, indeed! I did this one up as a 3-punch chocolate ~ cocoa & chips in the waffles & chocolate syrup crowning some sliced strawberries on top! OUTRAGEOUS & WONDERFUL! Certainly the kind of thing you don't want to do often, but once-in-a-while . . . SURE! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed as a thank you for a photo-taking camera-chef in Help a Camera-less Chef Game #3]