Chocolate Bread Pudding
- Ready In:
- 1 loaf callah bread, crust removed
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups skim milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Mix together 2/3 cup sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa. Into a greased 1-1/2 qt ovenproof dish - break up enough bread to fill it 2/3 full. Pour sugar & cocoa mixture over the bread. Toss lightly to coat the bread.
- Beat together eggs, vanilla & milk.
- Pour this over the bread and it should just cover the pieces.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 45 minutes.
- (Optional)Sprinkle chips on top at end of baking and let melt. Serve with whipped cream.
Join The Conversation
Really good! I only had a 2 1/2 quart pan, so I filled it about halfway up with bread and that seemed to do the trick. This was so easy to make, and was great even with just skim milk (I'm a cream lover). I added the chips to the top five minutes before it was done, and I highly suggest using them. The more chocolate, the better! We served with ice cream.
Simple to follow instructions, and a quick to make and really delicious dessert. I used 1/3 cup of brown sugar and 1/3 cup of honey, and I added chopped pecans, about 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time. If you are planning to make this, it’s really worth buying challah and not substituting some other bread. If you are not familiar with it, challah is sweeter than most other breads and has a distinctive texture. Real comfort food: just yummy! I ate mine with a generous dollop of creamy Greek yoghurt.