- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups dried garbanzo beans (garbanzos) or (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water (about) or 4 cups chicken stock (about)
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 -3 onions, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- lemon slice (to garnish)
- Soak the beans overnight in warm water.
- Strain and dust with baking soda.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with hot water and rub a few at a time between your fingers to remove the skins (discard the skins).
- Place in strainer and rinse thoroughly for several minutes.
- Put into a large pot along with enough water or chicken stock to cover and bring to a boil, skimming off the foam as it rises.
- Add the onions, tomato, rosemary, garlic, oil, salt and pepper and simmer covered until the beans split; about 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Serve hot with lemon slices.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made 1/2 the recipe using can peas. I couldn`t use 1/2 cup of olive oil (seemed like too much)just used 1 tablespoon. Which I used to saute the onions, garlic, rosemary (I used fresh 1 teaspoon) then added the 2 tomatoes. As of todays date there is no direction above of what to do with garlic, rosemary, tomatoes. As I ladled into the bowl It seemed too thin for the peas so I put a cups worth in a blender blended and added it back to the soup. Which made for a heartier soup. I top with grated cheese and lots of black pepper. I used water but I do suggest using broth! I had a hard time rating this because of the directions and found the soup I did adjust a couple things to my liking. Sorry Mimi :( But it was just OK Not Bad but OK.:)Reply