Chickpea Cumin Dip
photo by Katzen
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans (a.k.a. chickpeas, about 2 cups drained)
- 12 ounces soft tofu
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (or flat-leafed parsley leaves)
- extra cilantro (to garnish) (optional)
- In a dry small heavy skillet toast cumin seeds over moderate heat, shaking pan, until a shade darker and transfer to a plate to cool.
- In a sieve rinse and drain chickpeas.
- Drain tofu.
- In a food processor purée chickpeas, tofu, cumin seeds, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon oil until chick-peas are smooth.
- Stir in parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle dip with remaining tablespoon oil and garnish with parsley.
- Serve dip with pita toasts and/or crudités.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Hummus by another name is ... just as delicious. I loved the cumin and tofu in this which gave it a distinctive flavour and texture; and I always like the flavour of citrus fruits. I made my Chickpea Cumin Dip with parsley, as that's what was on hand, for Newest Zaar Tag. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Annacia!