Chicken Stew on Rice
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 3 -6 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 -6 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, cut into serving pieces
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups rice, prepared according to pkg. directions (white or brown)
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot or large deep skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with salt. Brown chicken in 4 batches, turning, about 5 minutes per batch, transferring as browned to a large dish.
- Add enough of remaining oil to pot to total 1/4 cup fat, then stir in flour with a flat metal or wooden spatula and cook over moderately low heat, scraping back and forth constantly (not stirring), until roux is the color of milk chocolate, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Add onion and celery and cook, scraping back and forth occasionally, until onion is softened, about 8 minutes (approximate - use your own judgement) Be careful not to b.
- Add water to roux mixture and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until roux is incorporated. (Roux will appear curdled initially, but will come together as it reaches a boil.) Add chicken and any juices that accumulated, then simmer, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in some red pepper flakes (if you want a little kick) and salt to taste and serve over rice.
- Cooks' note:
Stew improves in flavor if made 1 day ahead.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!