Chicken, Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Lasagna
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups parsley, chopped
- 15 lasagna noodles
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 1⁄2 cup basil, sliced
- 3 large roasted red peppers
- 15 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce starts to thicken, about 15-20 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken and parsley and set aside.
- Start cooking the noodles as directed on the package.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it is bubbling and it has turned a light golden brown.
- Mix in the flour and let simmer until it returns to a light golden brown.
- Mix in the milk, nutmeg and goat cheese and heat until it thickens.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a 9"x13" inch baking dish.
- Place a layer of noodles in the dish followed by 1/2 of the tomato sauce.
- Place another layer of noodles over the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the feta, 1/2 of the chopped basil and 1/2 of the roasted red peppers over the noodles.
- Spoon half of the ricotta in small spoonfuls over the noodles.
- Spoon 1/3 of the bechamel sauce over the layer.
- Place another layer of noodles over this.
- Repeat this sequence and top with a final layer of noodles, the remaining bechamel sauce and top with the mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the top is golden brown and the sides are bubbling, about 35-50 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
If the comments say My kids loved it! then I will probably think it's bland or otherwise yucky... so I don't make recipes that have a lot of My kids loved it! comments.