Chicken 'n' Spinach Pasta Bake
Cottage Living Magazine, 02/2007 issue. We liked this casserole because it had all of the daily requirements(???)and it tasted oh so good! It felt very nice going down.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 8 8 ounces gemelli pasta or 8 ounces fusilli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced button mushroom cap
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed (optional)
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts (we used a rotisserie chicken from the store)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes (we used Muir Glen)
- 8 ounces chive & onion cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Prepare rigatoni according to package directions, when ready drain and save about 1/4 cup of cooking water (in case you need it to thin out the sauce).
- Meanwhile, spread oil on bottom of an 11"x7" baking dish; add onion & mushrooms, if using, in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes or just until tender.
- Transfer onion & mushrooms to a large bowl, and set aside.
- Drain chopped spinach well, pressing between layers of paper towels.
- Stir rigatoni or other pasta, spinach, chicken, and next 5 ingredients(starting with tomatoes through the peppers - if using the red pepper flakes) into onion & mushrooms in bowl.
- Spoon mixture into baking dish, and sprinkle evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve with a nice salad and warm bread or bread sticks!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION