Chicken Lentil Soup With Kale
Healthy, Hearty soup. The aroma while it's cooking is wonderful. I found this in a magazine, made a few changes. You'll love this soup.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry lentils
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook, covered, for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, bay leaves and, if using, dried basil to vegetable mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale, lentils, salt and black pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken,tomato, and , if using, fresh basil. Simmer, covered, for 15-20 min more or until kale and lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this recipe a while ago and loved it. When I made it this time, something was different...I remember adding two different kins of lentils (although I just added more of the kind I liked)....I like that the broth wasn't clear once the lentils cooked down. This time, the liquid was more clear. Did this recipe change?Reply
see 17 more