Chicken French Crêpes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
Mushroom and Chicken Filling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and black pepper
- Mix together the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the combined eggs and milk; gradually mixing into the flour with a whisk.
- Continue to whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- The recipe is best if you can leave the mixture to rest for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat your pan to medium high. Add oil to your pan and wipe with on a scrunched up piece of paper towel. Set aside to use between each crepes.
- Pour a small ladleful of batter (1/4 cup) into the hot pan and tilt the pan so that the batter spreads out evenly. Cook for a minute or two on each side or until lightly browned.
- Use a knife & spatula to flip crêpes. Stack on a plate until ready to use;put a piece of wax paper in between each.(Can be frozen at this stage, wrapped tightly for up to 3 months.
- Heat butter in small frying pan. Add onions and cook until just tender and translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring one minute. Gradually add milk, stirring continuously; bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and set aside 1 cup of sauce for later.
- Stir in chicken, half of the cheese, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Cool 5 minutes before filling crepes with mixture.
- To finish the stuffed crepes, lay a crêpe out on counter top. Place a couple of tablespoons of filling mixture along the centre and roll up to enclose.
- Place in a sprayed baking dish, combine remaining cheese, 1 cup of sauce with cream and and spoon on the crepes before baking.
- Bake in moderate 350* oven, about 30 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbling.
Join The Conversation
This was so yummy! Be sure to pick up your hot pan,pour the 1/4 cup of batter into it and swirl it around to spread it evenly until it won't swirl anymore. I didn't stack the crepes either,I filled them quickly as the next was cooking. The filling was so yummy,I didn't change a thing except to add more cheese. It is a bit time consuming so I would suggest making the filling up ahead of time,then at mealtime only have to make the crepes,fill them and pop them in the oven while you make a salad to go with.
Since I've never made crepes before, it took me a little time to make them. The filling came together nicely and once I had everything done, assembly went quick. The crepe yield for me was 12 and I had a little extra filling, so I just added it to the top along with the cheese mixture. I think next time I'll add extra cheese. Very enjoyable recipe. :)