Chicken and Tomato Calzones
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 large pizza dough (your favorite)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning or 1 1/2 teaspoons pizza seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, rehydrated in boiling water. minced
- 12 tablespoons chopped bottled roasted red peppers
- 4 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoons fat free cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons fat-free cottage cheese or 6 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium to medium-high heat. Sauté onion for about 4 minutes until it begins to get tender, then add seasoning, thyme, salt and pepper mushrooms and garlic. Sauté until mushrooms begin to get tender.
- Add tomato paste, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted bell peppers, vinegar, and capers, cook for a minutes. Add spinach and chicken until heated through and spinach is wilted.
- Divide the dough into 4 sections and roll each of them out to about a 12" diameter.
- Mix the cream cheese and cottage cheese with a fork, whisk or beater until creamy.
- Divide the cheese and chicken mixture into four and arrange among the four dough-disks.
- Top each with about 1/4 cup of mozzarella and fold in each. Crimp the edges with a dull fork. brush over each with the egg wash.
- Bake at a 400°F oven on a baking sheet coated with tin foil, for about 20 minutes until lightly brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
i love cooking healthy. i have a major problem with ibs and the thing that triggers it is large amounts of fat so i can only have chicken breast, and fish except for bass, mackerel, or salmon. i love working out and horse back riding and i am always looking for "fat free" recipes. i love too cook as well.