Chicken and Dumplings (Low-Fat)
This is real easy and yummy. Hope you like it as much as my family does.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits (real bacon bits)
- cooking spray
- 3 large potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 cup carrot (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (diced)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups biscuit mix
- 1 cup skim milk
- Coat large dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Add potatoes, onion, celery, carrots and chicken, cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in chicken broth; season with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper simmer all together for 15 minutes.
- Pour in half-and-half and bring to a boil; add bacon bits.
- In a medium bowl, combine biscuit mix with milk and mix well (dough should be thick). Drop tablespoon sizes of dough into boiling mixture; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes uncovered, then another 10 minutes covered. (Note: Do not stir while simmering, or dumplings will break apart). Serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
The bacon and potatoes in a chicken and dumplings dish was a new twist for me. I like the bacon addition; the potatoes not so much. For a low fat rendition of a typically high-fat recipe, I enjoyed this. The half-and-half and bacon bits gave the broth a richer taste and mouthfeel. I made as directed and my chicken got a little rubbery so perhaps it could be cooked separately and added at the end. As a previous reviewer noted, I needed more broth to have enough to cook the dumplings â€“ about 2 cups or so. It was a quick fix and a great meal on a cold day. Thanks for posting!Reply
Very nice flavor combination in this dish. I had to cook this longer than stated to get the vegetables done. I also doubled the broth mixture for personal preference. I think next time I'll cook the chicken separate because there was some residual that was not eye appealing. But all in all a very good recipe. Thanks for sharing.Reply