Chicken Alla Romana
photo by Tomaso Basso
- Ready In:
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 6 ounces prosciutto, small cubes
- 4 mushrooms, large
- 5 garlic whole cloves, not crushed
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained if in liquid, washed if packaged in salt
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- In a heavy large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- When the skillet is hot, brown the chicken on both sides.
- When done, remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same warm skillet add peppers, prosciutto, mushroom slices and olives, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic cloves and scrape off the browned bits of chicken off the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the diced tomatoes, wine, broth and herbs, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- If serving immediately, add the capers and stir to combine.
- If making ahead, transfer chicken and sauce to storage, cool, and refrigerate. Reheat to a simmer, stir in the capers and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My wife calls me "Maso", which is approximately "Tom" in Italian. I love taking recipes and change them to make them full of flavor, easier and quicker to make, and healthier to eat. I've been eating a Mediterranean diet for a long time now, so many of my recipes lean that way. You'll typically find olives, olive oil, nuts and leaner meats in my recipes. I rarely use recipes for most of my cooking, but attempt to get it right when telling others how to make something.